What is Weatherization?
- Weatherization is a program to help reduce heating and energy costs for low income families by improving the energy efficiency of their homes.
- Through Weatherization you can cut your heating bills, save energy, and have a warmer home.
- SCCAP administers the Weatherization Program for Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, and Franklin Counties.
What does Weatherization Do?
- Services provided by Weatherization can include energy audits, insulation, air sealing, electrical reduction measures, minor heating repairs, and energy usage education.
Who pays for this?
- The Weatherization program is funded by the US Department of Energy and local utility companies. This work is completed free of charge for those that are determined to be eligible and approved for services. There are no liens placed on the home because of these services.
Who Qualifies for Weatherization
Eligibility for Weatherization is based on gross annual household income. Income for the entire household must be under the dollar amounts listed below:
- Household of 1 - under $24,280
- Household of 2 - under $32,920
- Household of 3 - under $41,560
- Household of 4 - under $50,200
- Household of 5 - under $58,840
- Household of 6 - under $67,480
- Add $8,640 for each additional household member
Renters are also eligible if they pay their own heating and electrical bills and the landlord grants permission and agrees not to raise the rent or evict the tenant for a period of 18 months
Homes which have been weatherized after September 30, 1994 are not eligible to be weatherized again
How do I Apply?
Due to limited funding and a very large number of applicants we must maintain a waiting list for Weatherization. To be placed on our waiting list, please contact us at:
717-334-7634 ext 134
or email email@example.com
Utility companies also fund weatherization under the LowIncome Usage Reduction Programs. SCCAP participates in this program. To apply for these programs, contact your local gas or electric utility company.
Eligibility is based on income and energy usage and varies by company.
- Met-Ed Center 1-800-545-7741
- Penelec Center: 1-800-545-7741
- West Penn Power: 1-888-406-8074
- Columbia Gas: 1-800-537-7431
- UGI Gas Utilities: 1-800-276-2722
Broken Heating Systems
During the heating season (typically November - March), if your heating system breaks, you may be eligible for assistance though your local County Assistance Office. When you contact them, ask for the Crisis Heating Assistance Program.
If you would like to learn about the Columbia Gas WarmWise Audits & Rebates program you can click on this link. By clicking on the link you will be taken directly to Columbia Gas' website where you will be able to get more information and complete an application.
SCCAP Recognizes Local contractors for excellence
Weatherization Contractors Receive SCCAP Excellence Awards
Gettysburg, PA, September 17, 2015: The Weatherization program, part of South Central Community Action Programs, Inc. (SCCAP), recently recognized several service contractors for their dedication and support. SCCAP Weatherization works in conjunction with the PA Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) to provide valuable services to eligible clients in “crisis”, referred by local County Assistance Offices. Sam Hepfer, Weatherization Program Director, thanked the contractors in attendance for their ongoing effort and the valuable work that they do to help keep people in our communities safe and warm. Mr. Hepfer noted, “In some cases, the referrals given to us are possible life-or-death situations. You get the job done, and done well, and you change people’s lives. These awards are only a small token of our appreciation for your hard work.”
The contractors and representatives recognized were: REMCO, Inc., Harold Bowman; Tuckey Mechanical Services, Inc., Tammy Gutshall; Ken Adams Mechanical, Inc., Angie Markle; JSI Heating & Air Conditioning, LLC, Sonia Irwin & John Irwin, II; and John M. Wilhide Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning, Dawn Wright. Absent, but recognized; DESCO Services and Tapper & Sons Heating and Cooling. These contractors have provided valuable weatherization services across several Pennsylvania counties, including Adams, Franklin, Cumberland, and Dauphin. SCCAP Weatherization program staff partners with many HVAC, plumbing and other contractors to bring these services to eligible residents.
SCCAP Receives Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania Contractor Award
The Weatherization program, part of South Central Community Action Programs, Inc. (SCCAP), was recently recognized with a Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania sponsored-award for providing the highest Contractor Energy Savings for 2013. Sam Hepfer, Weatherization Program Director, accepted the award on behalf of his dedicated team that provides valuable weatherization services across five Pennsylvania counties, including Adams, Franklin, Cumberland, Dauphin, and York. Julie Wilson, from Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania, was on site at the Gettysburg SCCAP office on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 to present the award and congratulate the team on a job well done and for achieving 31% savings in services provided in 2013. Home energy improvements can help both homeowners and renters alike, and the SCCAP Weatherization program partners with five utility companies to bring these services to eligible residents.